Bachelor of Theology Honours
Before 2011 students could enrol for a professional four year BTh Degree that consisted of 480 credits. This has been replaced by a standard three year BTh (360 credits, NQF7 – see article on accreditation) and a BTh Honours Degree (120 credits, NQF8).
Students that have already enrolled for the four year professional BTh Degree and:
a) are first year or second year students, have to change to the three year BTh programme;
b) are third year students, may change to the three year BTh programme OR choose to finish the four year BTh Degree. Students who stay on the 4-year BTh programme MUST finish all their subjects before December 2014, or switch over to the 3-year BTh degree;
c) are fourth year students, have to finish the four year BTh programme before December 2014.
The curriculum for the BthHons consists of five papers of 24 credits each. The 4A series of Honours papers are available, in which each paper presents an introduction to the subject area as a theological discipline and research area.
The BTh Honours has five modules which each has to be completed within six months. These modules include some of the following topics:
1. NTS4241 New Testament 4A - Starting Date: Open throughout the year for enrolment
- Orientation to New Testament studies
- Issues in New Testament studies
- Interpreting the New Testament
- Study of a New Testament book
- Preaching the New Testament
2. OTS4241 Old Testament 4A - Starting Date: Opens August for enrolment
- Orientation to Old Testament studies
- Issues in Old Testament studies
- Interpreting the Old Testament
- Study of an Old Testament book
- Preaching the Old Testament
3. THE4241 Systematic theology 4A - Starting Date: Opens May for enrolment
- Orientation to systematic theology
- Issues in systematic theology
- Biblical Theology
- Study of a doctrine
- Contextual theology
4. PRA4241 Practical Theology 4A - Starting Date: Opens November for enrolment
- Orientation to practical theology
- Issues in ministry
- Discipleship and leadership
- Pastoral care and counselling
- Church and society
5. MIS4241 Missiology 4A - Starting Date: Opens February for enrolment
- Orientation to missiology
- History of missions
- Theologies of mission
- Strategies for missions
- Issues in missions
SATS intends to broaden the range of papers offered by introducing a 4B series.
Please contact our office for further information.